Sunday, March 21, 2010

Family Food

Do your family have a peculiar food fancy? Our is pancakes. Now, we all like the big fluffy cake like pancakes... especially buttermilk stacks with maple syrup & banana. But in this house, we have a dark secret. An obsession, a yen, a love...
for crispy edges...

To find this delicious treat is quite easy. I am the owner of a 'secret' family recipe. It's acutally for crepes if truth be told, but they're always called pancakes here. It's just how we roll. (Roll, get it, like you roll crepes?! Ah, I crack myself up...) It's been handed down generation to generation - well since 1963's publication of Step-by-step Cookery for the Australian Women's Weekly in it's bright orange cover. It's been converted from imperial to metric by my Mum and I am going to share it, just in case there is another family gripped by crispy-edge-itis:
1 cup plain flour
pinch salt
1 egg
1 1/4 cup milk
Just sift the flour & salt, put in the egg & whisk in milk until you get a thin batter.
Cook in a pan with butter
They're actually like little flat Yorkshire Puddings - incidentally it's my pudding recipe as well except I bake in muffin trays with 1 tsp of oil in a very hot oven for about 10 mins.
They are delicious rolled up with lemon and sugar, jam, syrup and even fruit. If my family's little secret disgusts you, I apologise - I just feel safe sharing my dirty laundry on my little blog ;0) Perhaps you could share your family's food quirks to make me feel less freaky?


Lizzie said...

YUM. I'm stealing this. But I'm not telling the kids. Because then they'll want it RIGHT THIS SECOND.

Little Munchkins said...

Hello Leah!

I had 'lost' your blog for a while, but just found it back. Haven't seen you around EB in a long while.

I haven't got a family food quirk that I can think of right now. If I think of one I will be sure to come back and let you know.