Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Clean Bathroom, Bake Muffins....



My to-do list today was pretty simple, with wonderful results! I'm going to revisit some of mine & other people's favourite baking recipes each week and post the recipes, photos and reviews here, sound good?


This week is my all time favourite basic muffin recipe from Stephanie Alexander's The Cook's Companion. I personally think every person who moves out of home should get one of these. Not only does it go into detail about every imaginable ingredient, how to buy them, when & how to use them, but the recipes are failproof. From old familiy recipes to modern masterpieces for your mouth! I am a pretty experienced cook but I still go back to this lovely for information on a pretty regular basis. Anyway - onto the:



Basic Muffins


Ingredients

Butter

220gm Self Raising Flour

1/2 cup Castor Sugar

3/4 cup Milk or Buttermilk

1 Egg

3/4 cup Vegetable Oil


How To


Preheat oven to 180ÂșC and grease muffin tins well with butter (I use patty pans/muffin cases for easier clean up).



  1. Mix sifted flour and castor sugar and any other dry ingredients you intend to use (I used cinnamon).


  2. Combine milk, egg and oil in a seperate bowl and any other wet ingredients (I used vanilla, two small mashed bananas and a little handful of frozen raspberries).


  3. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, pour in liquid and mix lightly.


  4. Spoon batter into muffins tins/cases until 2/3 full, then bake for 20-25 mins until brown on the top. (I also added a sprinkle of brown sugar & oats to the top & pushed in lightly)


  5. Remove tins from the oven, cool for a minute then put onto a rack to cool completely.

Makes 12 regular sized muffins, or 6 muffins & approx 12 mini muffins - which is just enough to share :0)


If using this recipe for savoury muffins, simply omit the castor sugar.


I have NEVER had a batch of these go wrong, no matter how many additions I make. Cheese, bacon & zucchini muffins are wonderful!


So now I have a clean bathroom and something to nibble at the computer until school pick-up!

2 comments:

Trees; Leaves & Trunks said...

Sounds good to me! <3
Send some my way xo

Kylie said...

I second that - please, please, please revist the lemon cake that you did (or was it orange?) I loved it and dont have the reciep anymore:(